Last week, Worksop College students arrived in Argentina to begin their Rugby Student Exchange Programme.

We caught up with Clemens Roettgen, to see what the students got up to in their first week…

Our trip began on 3 July 2017 at London Heathrow. Surprisingly, without a delay and no technical related problems, we were able to board the plane at 11pm.

Once aboard the plane, Jordan and Alan made their way to their premium seats, which provided them with 2 cm extra legroom(and cost them £600 more!)

Whilst Nick and I were left to fight between ourselves to get the best seat. Absolutely exhausted, we were ready to relax, and more than happy to finally sit down. We quickly realised however, that two children sat behind us had other plans! True determination was shown by these kids, as they continued to kick our seats for almost the entire 14 hour journey!

At the airport, we were welcomed by our four Argentinian hosts and their teacher. After quite a long drive through Buenos Aires, we arrived at the school. Immediately being handed our uniform, which were slightly on the large side!

We were then given a tour of the school in the 20 degree sunshine, (it is currently winter in Argentina!) The school made us all feel welcome straight away. The people here are really nice too, very open and extremely friendly, although Miss Warner would enjoy walking through the school telling pupils that their hair was too long or the school uniform policy isn’t being followed properly!

On the next day, we were able to watch a 10-a-side rugby tournament, which was won without any difficulty by Newman. At this stage, Alan slowly realised that it could possibly be a tough game in September when we host the boys from Argentina!

Unfortunately, the weather on this day changed and it started raining so badly that the rugby tournament was suspended for an hour. When we questioned this, we were told:

“Well you are used to the rain, we are not!”  

On Friday we were invited to the well-known “Asado”, which is an Argentinian BBQ. The group and I concluded really quickly that the food was amazing, and also realised that we may have to sacrifice our summer bodies in order to fully enjoy this.

After a long night’s sleep, we all met again on Saturday to go bowling. The way to the shopping centre and general traffic situation is very complicated to explain. I am still trying to figure out what the basic rules are. My understanding is that it mostly comes down to communication between the drivers.

 The bowling was a very enjoyable activity and was won by Nick Hobbs. After an intense bowling session and a very much needed healthy lunch (McDonald’s), we went home to get some rest for what was going to be a long night.

I am still trying to get used to the Argentinian way of life. There is a light brunch, and then a normal lunch at 4pm and tea is 9pm at the earliest. The “fiestas” don’t start till midnight and don’t finish to… well let’s put it like this we could have called our parents to say good morning!

The four of us are really grateful for this opportunity, and are looking forward to the rest of our time here.